Friday, September 11, 2009

Barefoot Bloggers: Birthday Sheet Cake

A couple of weeks ago, I joined an online group called the Barefoot Bloggers, who twice a month make an Ina Garten recipe and then blog about it. I am so exited to be participating in this group; the contessa has some great recipes, and this way I can branch out and make some that I might have otherwise passed up.
I must admit, the first recipe for this month is one that I probably would not have made. It had quite a few bad reviews on the food network site. For one thing, the baking soda to flour ratio is off - it should be 3/4 teaspoon instead of the full teaspoon published. Also, chocolate and lemon do not tempt me together, so I left the lemon zest out.
I halved the recipe and made cupcakes (about 2 dozen). I loved the buttery sweet flavor, and the frosting was great, although a little thin and runny for me. Next time I will refrigerate the frosting, then let it return to room temp before applying. Also, I used about 3/4 milk chocolate chips and for the remainder used semi-sweet, and my frosting was still very rich and chocolatey. I opted to decorate my cupcakes with sprinkles instead of the chocolate candies called for.
Please visit Susy at Everyday Gourmet for the recipe.

1 comment:

  1. This recipe was not what I expected. I am sorry your first Barefoot Blogger recipe wasn't spectacular. I understand the cake in two weeks is to die for...

    ReplyDelete