Thursday, September 24, 2009

Barefoot Bloggers: Beatty's Chocolate Cake



I was very excited to see that Mary of Passionate Perseverance chose Beatty's Chocolate Cake for the second of the barefoot bloggers' September recipes. I have been saving this recipe to try for quite some time now. I decided to halve the recipe and make a one-layer cake for my RCIA class at church tonight. I purposefully signed up to bring the refreshments for tonight when the September recipes came out. It is a small class and I am taking other food, so I think the size will work out nicely, and I won't have chocolate cake tempting me at home! A win/win outcome for sure.

I baked my cake in a 9" springform pan, and I'm glad I did as it rose pretty high and may have overflowed an 8" pan of a lesser depth. I did have to make the batter twice because towards the end of the recipe, I forgot that I was halving it, and added the called for amounts of oil, coffee, and egg. My batter was very thin! I guess I don't learn from my mistakes very well; this was the second time I did this today - made the same mistake baking cookies earlier. Anyways, the second time around, the batter was fine and the cake turned out great. The icing was okay, but I am not a fan of coffee in my icing, and ended up adding more butter, vanilla and sugar to detract from the strong coffee flavor. Next time I will leave it out of the icing completely, but I like the extra depth it adds to the chocolate in the cake itself. Visit Mary's site if you would like the recipe.

1 comment:

  1. lol this post strikes close to home... that's why you just make the whole recipe so you don't have to worry about not halving it halfway!

    ReplyDelete