Friday, August 28, 2009

English Muffins

I love English Muffins, especially at breakfast. They're great with sausage and cheese, butter, honey... very versatile. You can even do English Muffin Pizzas for lunch or a snack! I chose this recipe because I love to use my bread machine on the dough cycle, then bake my goodies in the oven.


English Muffins
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons butter
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour (or more)
1 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
cornmeal

Place the ingredients in your bread machine in the order given; select the dough cycle. When the cycle is finished, pat dough out (to about 1/2" thick) onto a surface lightly dusted with cornmeal. Cut 8-12 rounds using a round cookie cutter, a biscuit cutter, a clean empty can, whatever. The original recipe yields 8, but I think I got closer to 12. Place the rounds on a baking sheet, cover and let rise for 20- 30 minutes, until almost doubled in size. Heat a dry cast iron skillet or griddle over a low flame. I did spray mine with cooking spray. Cook the muffins about 5 to 7 minutes on each side. They should be golden brown when you turn them. Split the muffins with a fork or serrated knife and serve warm.

I ate several fresh out of the oven, slathered with butter, called it lunch. It was a good lunch! They freeze great, too - split, allow to cool, then go ahead and freeze. Reheat in a microwave or toaster oven.

Gotta give credit where it's due - I found this recipe on Recipezaar (where I find a good number of recipes). Here is the link: English Muffins (Bread Machine Method)

No comments:

Post a Comment